Wednesday, June 15, 2016

I'm a little bit country ...

Hello everyone! 

Another week gone by, there's only one week left of the transfer. I've already been in Sandy for almost three months! This week was a little slower than last week with the work. The first couple of days we did a lot of service and let's just say that I am definitely living the country boy life. In the past week and a half, I have bucked hay 3 times, chopped or stacked wood 3 different times, planted and weeded corn, and have seen and played with almost any farm animal you can think of haha. It's been awesome but I still like the city better! 

Elder Kirk was really sick for a lot of the week with the flu so we weren't able to go out and do much. I had to stay in the apartment with him and so I was able to do a lot of studying and reflecting. I'm almost at my halfway point and it was interesting to look back and see the growth and development I've had from just one year! I was also able to study my patriarchal blessing more in depth, and it really is true how those blessings are literally scriptures for our own lives and can help us to know what paths to follow. 

On Saturday, we had a pretty memorable experience. We got a text from our Bishop saying that he had received a call from a man and he said that he needed missionaries to come by to talk to. So we get his address and go over there and this man, probably in his 60's, opens the door and was just so happy to see us he was in tears. He said that he saw some missionaries on the street a couple days ago (the Young Single Adult missionaries) and he got our Bishop's number from them. So we go in and start getting to know him and it turns out he is a convert of about three years. He was living in Missouri and his friend convinced him to move out here to Oregon. So he moves out here with his friend and they are living with a bunch of random people in this house, and then his friend abandoned him. He doesn't know where his friend went and now he has been living in this house for 8 months with 4 people who are addicted to meth (but he is clean and sober). He has disabilities so he doesn't have a job. All he has were the clothes he was wearing and a backpack. He doesn't have a bedroom, he sleeps in a recliner in the corner. It was the saddest thing in the world. He is the most humble man I have ever met and all he wanted was someone to help him feel safe. There is only one other person in the house who doesn't do drugs, and he said all the other people are terrifying. We gave him a blessing of comfort and safety and I had the opportunity to give him the blessing. The Spirit was so strong and he started crying through the whole thing which made Elder Kirk and I start crying. We then read Alma 7 with him and talked about the Atonement and how Christ knows everything he is going through. It was a really humbling experience. Any worries or problems that I thought I had were completely gone. It helped me realize how blessed I really am, and it helped magnify my perspective of why I am actually out here... And the cool thing is that he came to church with us yesterday and he loved it!

Thank you for all the emails and support!! I really appreciate it, it makes a difference:) 

Have a great week!! 

Elder Hill 

No comments:

Post a Comment