Monday, October 26, 2015

DL's, FHE's, and GA's

Hi everyone!

I don't even know where to begin this week! There were so many cool and crazy things that happened! On Monday night I got a call from the APs and they say that there has been a change in our district with some people getting moved around and what not (which is very unusual in the middle of a transfer) and he said that President has assigned me as the new District Leader! A District Leader is the missionary that presides and has stewardship over the District. Our District has us and 4 other sets of missionaries so there are 5 wards in our District and I have different responsibilities in collecting stats from each ward, going on exchanges with each companionship, and to just keep things going in the district. I am way excited and grateful for this opportunity I have to learn and grow even more as a missionary as I train a new missionary and work as a DL. Pretty exciting!

Monday:
Monday we had an awesome FHE with the sisters in the Holgate Center. Usually only like 3 people show up but there were like 10 people there this time!

Tuesday & Wednesday:
Tuesday and Wednesday we had a lot of different lessons and we did a lot of service for people in the ward. We had a lesson with Gilbert Wednesday night and he said that he wants to get baptized!!! But.... He doesn't really understand the standard of living we must maintain to be baptized even though we have tried to explain it to him, but we will keep trying.

Thursday:
Thursday we were walking to lunch with the ZLs cause they said they would take us out and they say that all they have is $20 to pay for us but that the Lord will provide (I couldn't tell if they were joking) so I brought my wallet haha. And I kid you not a lady comes up to us on the street that was visiting from out of town and says that she is a member. She pulls out her wallet and gives us $30! I look at the ZLs and they said they swear that they did not plan this haha but that the Lord actually provides! It was pretty funny but also pretty amazing. Thursday night we had a lesson with Carissa finally and it was awesome!! We had a lesson on baptism and how it is so important, and she said that she needs to stop putting it off and just do it. So she called up the guy she wants to baptize her and says she wants to be baptized November 7th. It was so great to see and hear all this! We were super excited for her, But the problem is that she has to come to church a couple times to be baptized but she hasn't been able to since she works Sunday's. So we will have to postpone her baptism but she is very enthusiastic and excited to be baptized! At the end of the lesson she asked if I could give her a blessing so that was a pretty cool thing to be able to do.

Friday:
Friday Sister Gillette calls us up and says that she has Voodoo donuts for us and that she has a Jewish friend from out of town visiting and she had a couple questions. So we went over and we ate donuts and taught a lesson! Her friend wasn't super interested in converting but she asked some good questions. 
 
Saturday:
Saturday, the coolest thing happened. So there was a special Missionary Leadership Counsel (MLC), where all of the Zone Leaders and District Leaders went and had a meeting with Elder Richard J. Maynes. Elder Maynes is in the Presidency of the Quorum of the Seventy and he just spoke in the last General Conference! His talk was about the potter's clay and having it centered on Christ if you remember that talk. Anyways, there were about 60 missionaries and the mission presidency at this meeting.. Elder Maynes is giving his counsel and he is talking about the importance of setting goals. As he is talking he points right at me and says "Elder come up here!... What's your name? Elder Hill?... Elder Hill you and I are now companions!".. I go up to the front and he puts his arm around me and he starts asking me a bunch of questions about my area and goals we have. And then we role played setting goals as a companionship. IT WAS SO SCARY! The whole time I am freaking out and thinking I am not even supposed to be here! I have only been out 3 and a half months and was made District Leader 5 days ago. But it was such an awesome experience!! To be able to role play and be "companions" with a general authority in front of the mission president and all the leaders in the mission was crazy. It was an adrenaline rush, especially being a young missionary, but it was so cool!! Elder Maynes came up to me after the meeting and said, "thanks for being such a good sport and my companion Elder Hill."  Elder Maynes and I are basically best friends.


Tyler with Elder Maynes

Have a great week!

Elder Hill


Tyler's Highlights and Hints this week: 

*The members in this ward are amazing. They are really starting to like us a lot! We have been fed every day for 14 days straight, and someone has signed up to feed us every single day for the month of November. WHICH IS CRAZY. It has NEVER happened in the history of the Moreland Ward.

*It's starting to rain and be gray everyday. It is not fun riding your bike in the rain.

*Scripture to ponderize this week: 2 Nephi 4:16 - "Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard." 

Do we ponder in our hearts the things of the Lord CONTINUALLY? 
 
*If you see something I post on Facebook that you like, don't be afraid to share it with your friends or comment on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment